Lead Critical Engineering Technician (Shift)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
At the direction of supervisor, maintains, monitors, and performs preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance on critical equipment, which may include the following: mechanical (including HVAC, computer room air conditioners, chillers, and plumbing) electrical (including UPS, DC battery systems, PDU, generators, transfer switches, and switchgear), cabling (including data and voice, broad band), fire detection and suppression, life safety, lighting, temperature control systems, building management systems, and digital systems (including fire alarm, duress, card access, CCTV). Also, responsible for operation and maintenance of non-critical equipment such as refrigeration, heat exchanger, HVAC, electrical, hot water systems. Monitors operation, adjusts, and maintains refrigeration, chilled water, and air conditioning equipment; boilers, and ventilating and hot water heaters; pumps, valves, piping and filters; other mechanical and electrical equipment; record readings and adjust where necessary to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Routinely performs all work in strict accordance with governing Critical Work Packages (CWPs), standard operating procedures, and maintenance work instructions.
- Operates and monitors critical and non-critical system equipment and components. Oversees CWP work efforts (including 3rd party contractors) for the safe and compliant operation, maintenance (corrective and preventive), and modification of critical equipment. Disables and enables fire alarm control panels and systems.
- Install and repair plumbing/piping/tubing; wire single and three phase motors (single & two speed); run conduit; pull wiring to machinery, motors, operating parts, etc.; install and rebuild pumps and motors; install and rebuild air compressors; heat exchangers; replace bearings in all types of motors; replace seals on pumps; install and repair piping, valves, filters, hot water systems and associated controls; assist other mechanics and engineers with major repairs and maintenance of building and equipment. Install, repair, and maintain electrical controls, switching and motor controls.
- Receive and execute work orders for preventative and corrective maintenance on critical systems and building physical structure. Consult with Lead Building Engineer or supervisor to order necessary materials to complete all maintenance and perform necessary work. Finalize work orders by completing necessary documentation in the computerized maintenance management system.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, etc.) and customer concerns.
- As qualified, perform Building Management System Console operations.
- Comply with departmental policy for the safe storage, usage, and disposal of hazardous materials. Maintain a clean and safe workplace.
- Limited travel is required in this position.
- Performs additional job duties as requested
- High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- 2+ years’ experience in critical environment operations, maintenance, and/or engineering supporting critical facilities operations.
- Working knowledge of critical data center systems, including HVAC, standby emergency power, uninterruptible power supplies, and associated infrastructure.
CERTIFICATES and/or LICENSES
Universal CFC Certificate, Electrical License, HVAC license, Boiler Operator Certificate, etc, as agreed upon to perform duties.
Operating Engineers license (SMA) or equivalent preferred Valid driver’s license.
Ability to read, comprehend, and execute administrative procedures, equipment manuals, drawings, complex work scripts, procedures, and maintenance work instructions.
Requires the ability to analyze the operation of various systems, determine the cause of any problems / malfunctions and initiate corrective action as required.
OTHER SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
Basic skills in computer applications and software such as MS Office.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Decisions made with understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve results. Errors in judgment may cause short-term impact to co-workers, supervisor, department, critical line of business, and/or facility uptime.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.