Health, Safety, and Environmental management, also known as simply HSE, involves the planning, implementation, monitoring and optimization of processes related to the protection of people, property and the environment.
HSE management is a formalized system of policies and procedures designed to help employees stay safe while protecting physical assets and the environment. Key elements of an effective HSE program generally include:
- Adherence to guidelines from OSHA, the Energy Institute, etc.
- A comprehensive safety plan
- Inspection checklists
- Risk audits
- Training and drills
- Reporting of key performance indicators such as:
- Accident severity rate (ASR)
- Lost time rate (LTR)
- Total accident rate (TAR)
- Total recordable injuries
- Working days since last incident