Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE)
Health, Safety, and Environmental management, also known as simply HSE, involves the planning, implementation, monitoring and optimization of processes related to the protection of people, property and the environment.
HSE management is a formalized system of policies and procedures designed to help employees stay safe while protecting physical assets and the environment. Key elements of an effective HSE program generally include:
- Adherence to guidelines from OSHA, the Energy Institute, etc.
- A comprehensive safety plan
- Inspection checklists
- Risk audits
- Training and drills
- Reporting of key performance indicators such as:
- Accident severity rate (ASR)
- Lost time rate (LTR)
- Total accident rate (TAR)
- Total recordable injuries
- Working days since last incident