A Retail Colocation arrangement is when a customer leases space within a data center, whether their IT requirements call for a small rack or a larger caged-off area.
In contrast to wholesale colocation, which generally involves the leasing of a complete data center, retail colocation is ideal for companies that need a small amount of space or have a limited colocation budget.
Retail location may be a good choice for businesses that:
- Don’t require a lot of space, or only need it for a short time
- Don’t have the budget to consider leasing an entire data center
- Need to store small amounts of data in different geographic locations
- Have exceeded capacity at another facility
- Do not have the IT staff in place to manage and maintain server space