A Wholesale Colocation situation generally refers to the leasing of a fully built data center space. Large enterprises frequently choose to lease wholesale data centers instead of building their own data centers.
In contrast to retail colocation, which generally involves the leasing of small amounts of space within a data center, wholesale colocation is ideal for companies with enterprise-scale power and data requirements.
Wholesale colocation may be a good choice for large companies that:
- Need a lot of space at a low cost per square foot
- Require at least 1 megawatt of power capacity
- Must meet stringent government regulations or compliance standards
- Need room for future expansion within the same facility
- Require a great deal of customization